This one-day course will give you an insight into noise impact assessments, how to spot when one is required, what is involved, and will show methods of controlling environmental noise. We will also explore Technical Guidance Document Part E : Sound, with emphasis on the principles of building acoustics, design principles and common pitfalls. We will also cover performance space acoustics, and what goes into the design of a good performance space. Finally we will examine office / commercial acoustics including key principles, guidance and standards, and treatment options.
This is an intensive 1-day course, delivered completely online and hosted by a highly experienced acoustic engineer and consultant. All attendees will have an opportunity to ask questions, discuss any issues and suggest solutions based on a wealth of experience.
Noise Impact Assessments:
- What is Acoustics?
- What is Environmental Noise?
- Why protection from such noise is required. What are the adverse health effects of overexposure to such noise? (WHO)
- Road Traffic Noise
- Air Traffic Noise
- Industrial/Commercial/Construction Noise
- When a noise impact assessment might be required – Planning applications, during project design, during construction, at project completion.
- The Noise Impact Assessment – What’s Involved. How surveys should be completed. Manual calculations vs computer modelling. Noise propagation “heat maps”. Noise intrusion assessments.
- Methods of controlling environmental noise.
Residential Acoustics - Technical Guidance Document, Part E Sound:
- The Decibel
- Principles of Building Acoustics – Airborne Sound Insulation, Impact Sound Insulation, Sound Absorption, Noise Control
- The process - Ancillary Certificates (Design, Inspection, Completion)
- BCAR 2014 & Part E Requirements – Performance Criteria for Sound insulation, Reverberation Control, other.
- Historic Buildings – How the requirements differ. Techniques for sound insulation when preservation takes precedence.
- Acoustic Design Principles & Common Pitfalls
- Acoustic Testing – The equipment, the procedure and interpreting the results.
Multi-use Performance Space Design:
- Principles of performance space acoustics – Shape, Volume, Reverberation, Internal Ambient Noise Levels, Strength, Clarity, Envelopment, Apparent Source Width, Bass Ratio.
- Different acoustic requirements for different performance types – speech, symphony orchestra, opera, punk rock etc.
- Adjustable acoustics for multi-use spaces – electronic banners, blinds and reflectors.
- Audience Absorption and seating.
- The process – Design, Inspection, Commissioning.
- How to design a good sounding performance space – the design team.
- Principles of office acoustics – Reverberation control, Internal Ambient Noise Levels, M&E Noise (NR), Speech Privacy, Sound Insulation.
- International Guidance and Standards, BCO Acoustics.
- Cellular Office Sound Insulation – Walls, Floors, Ceilings, Doors, Folding Partitions.
- Reverberation control treatment options – Acoustic panels, ceiling tiles, clouds, Sonaspray, neighbourhood dividers etc.
- Curtain Wall Systems – Flanking Sound, Noise Intrusion, wall-mullion junctions.
- White Noise Masking Systems.
- Teleconferencing systems in untreated rooms.
Who Should Attend?
This course is suitable for construction industry professionals looking to better understand the role of an acoustic consultant during construction projects. Those interested in entering the acoustics industry will gain valuable insight into the job role. Existing acoustic consultants looking to branch from one particular area of acoustics to others may be interested in the variety of topics discussed.
On completion of this one-day training course, you will receive your Certificate of Attendance. Please note certificates are issued at the close of the training course to participants on completion of the course. Please check directly with your association or awarding body to see how many points they will award.
An ‘Early Bird’ discounted rate of €465 is currently available. This training course normal rate is €565. Places are limited and are allocated on a first come first served basis. PLEASE NOTE THE EARLY BIRD RATE CLOSES 3 WEEKS PRIOR TO COURSE DATE.
The course cost includes all course documentation and Certificate of Attendance.