It is central to the role of professionals required to submit reports or attend court as expert witness’ that they give a clear account of their conclusions and reasoning that enables an informed and independent judgment. Learning how to dothis in a courtroom setting, where cross examination and scrutiny occurs, is a skill that requires training.
This course will give delegates the skills to understand what is required from reports, howto relay it in the courtroom and how to distinguish between facts, inference and opinion. Preparation of reports will also be reviewed and best practice examples will be given.
Delegates will also gain an understanding of the skills you need to exercise when giving evidence in a courtroom/court setting. This will include the procedures in giving evidence, preparing the evidence and common cross – examination techniques used by lawyers.
· How to identify the issues and the facts
· Appropriate layout, format and style – lead by example
· Expressing an opinion on the issues
· Pitching the language of the report at the right level
· Dealing with exhibits, photos, digital evidence and other graphics
· Developing an objective and critical eye in relation to your report writing
· Technical report writing essentials
· The importance of staying within one's area of expertise
· Avoiding damaging or superfluous language
· Role play section – see step by step what can happen when being cross examined
· How the adversarial system works
· The procedures, order of events and roles of those in the adversarial systems
· How to prepare for giving evidence
· Taking the oath/affirmation with confidence
· Techniques lawyers use in cross examination and how to handle them
· How to give clear, honest and objective evidence
· How to make appropriate use of supporting evidence, documents and notes when giving evidence
· How to give confident and clear testimony under cross-examination
This one-day workshop will be of real interest to any professional who has been called as an expert witness or expects to be in the future. Some of our previous event delegates on this topic came from sectors including, healthcare,finance, legal, consultancy, construction, engineering, architecture,government bodies, semi-state agencies, local authorities, pharmaceutical and medical device suppliers, universities and barristers.
On completion of this one-day training course, you will receive your CMG MasterClass Certificate of Attendance in Expert Witness Masterclass. Please note certificates are issued at the close of the training course to participants on completion of the course. You will also receive a full Expert Witness Masterclass course pack to refer back to at any time in the future. Please check directly with your association or awarding body to see how many points they will award.
An ‘Early Bird’ discounted rate of €425 is currently available. This training course normal rate is €495. Places are limited and are allocated on a first come first served basis. PLEASE NOTE THE EARLY BIRD RATE CLOSES 3 WEEKS PRIOR TO COURSE DATE.
The course cost includesall course documentation, Expert Witness Masterclass training pack and certificates ofattendance.