It is estimated that 80% of disabled people in Ireland have a hidden disability. Many people will not immediately disclose that they have a disability through fear of stigma and being judged by others, and as such, you may not realise you already have employees with a disability working for you. For example, an employee suffering from Crohn’s Disease taking longer bathroom breaks, a neuro diverse employee missing social cues, an employee with Arthritis needing ergonomic adjustments, or a person with dyslexia needing extra time for written tasks.
This course will give delegates a solid foundation in areas such as communication, appropriate language, types of disabilities, legislation, barriers for people with disabilities, accessibility, discrimination and creating an inclusive environment in the workplace.
· Definition of disability
· Language Matters – Eg. Disabled person or person with a disability?
· Not all disabilities are visible
· Types of disabilities to be aware of – in particular invisible ones
-Intellectual disability &developmental disorders
-Conditions that limit basic physical activities
-Blindness and serious visual impairment
-Mental health and emotional conditions
- Deafness and hearing related disabilities
-Difficulty with learning, remembering, or concentrating
· Other disabilities, including chronic illness.
· Myths and assumptions around disabilities
· Barriers to inclusion for people withdisabilities
· Valued Role of an Employee
· Diversity, inclusivity, and disability
· The Disability Act 2005
· The Equal Status Act 2000 – 2015
· The Employment Equality Act 1998 – 2015
· The Health Safety & Welfare at Work Act
· UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities
· Reasonable Accommodation in Irish law
· Policies & Procedures to ensure you have in place.
· Identifying types of discrimination
· Disability etiquette
· Conscious & unconscious bias
· Barriers and Enablers to communication –Do’s & Don’ts
· Creating more inclusive workplaces?
· Supporting an employee with a disability to overcome challenges.
· Removing barriers during the recruitment process
· Equality and equity
· Accessibility & Universal Design
· Changing our perceptions and being proactive
This course has been designed for owners, managers, team leaders, CEO’s, directors as well as HR professionals, operations managers and line managers within any public or private sector organisation
On completion of this one-day training course, you will receive your Certificate of Attendance. Please note certificates are issued at the close of the training course to participants on completion of the course.
This course may qualify for CPD points. Please check directly with your association or awarding body to see how many points they will award.
An ‘EarlyBird’ discounted rate of €485 is currently available. This training course normal rate is €585. Places are limited and are allocated on a first come first served basis. PLEASE NOTE THE EARLY BIRD RATE CLOSES 3 WEEKS PRIOR TO COURSE DATE.
The course cost includes all course documentation and Certificate of Attendance