This practical course is designed to ensure delegates have the support and knowledge to give a truthful, confident, and coherent account at a Coroner’s Court inquest. The course will also explore the role and responsibilities of everybody involved in an inquest, including their own. The emphasis will be on practical understanding, aided by exercises in statement writing and giving evidence.
• The function of the coroner- An understanding of the duties and jurisdiction of the coroner
• The scope and purpose of the inquest- Awareness of when and why a case might be referred to a coroner
• The Coroner’s Investigation –Process, Procedure and possible verdicts/outcomes
• How to write an excellent statement
• The procedure at the inquest
• The role of the expert witness
• Handling the media
• How to prepare for giving evidence in the Coroner’s Court
• Taking the oath/affirmation with confidence
• Key skills for presenting effective evidence
• How the inquisitorial system works
• How to make appropriate use of supporting evidence, documents, and notes
• How to give confident and clear testimony
• Lawyers’ techniques and how to handle them
• Who to speak to in court and what to call them
This course has been designed for all professionals who attend inquests, including healthcare professionals, prison officers, emergency service professionals, risk managers and lawyers in understanding the functions, powers and duties of the coroner and the scope of the inquest.
On completion of this one-day training course, you will receive your Certificate of Attendance. Please note certificates are issued at the close of the training course to participants on completion of the course.
Please check directly with your association or awarding body to see how many points they will award.
An ‘Early Bird’ discounted rate of €465 is currently available. This training course normal rate is €565. Places are limited and are allocated on a first come first served basis. PLEASE NOTE THE EARLY BIRD RATE CLOSES 3 WEEKS PRIOR TO COURSE DATE. The course cost includes all course documentation and Certificate of Attendance.